i am sitting on the starboard
of your only way
back home




Jana%20Pochop
Quantcast



follow janapochop at http://twitter.com


follow supermerchgirl at http://twitter.com

www.flickr.com








Subscribe in a reader

Jana Pochop
Jana Pochop
Promote Your Page Too

Join My Community at MyBloglog!
StumbleUpon
Add to Technorati Favorites
podsafe music network


Friday, August 1, 2008

EP 1 Cover: The Early Year


The title. The Early Year.

How it came about: I was mulling over what to call this thing during the entire recording process. I put it off by calling it EP 1, and seriously considered the official title of "One of Three" because we are going to make 2 more of these in the next 2 years...but the cleverness of that title choice would not be evident until 2010 when "Three of Three" comes out. Scratch that.

I thought about "Fortunate" because that's the name of one of the tracks and kind of the mantra for the whole process...I felt fortunate to be doing it. But singling out one of the five tracks didn't sit right with me, either.

While discussing options with Dan, about how this was the first of many records to be made and therefore my baby EP and how I wanted to reflect that, I said, "But I don't want to call it something pretentious like "Jana Pochop: The Early Years" or something like that."

Which caught Dan's ear...and suddenly dropping that plural from Years was the perfect solution.

Yes, it was an early year. The getting up at 5:30 to write songs before going in to work at the county job and then spending many hours at Red Leaf after that. Each one of these songs was either born, finished, or refined in that morning writing time. I think everyone's had an early year or many...whether it was school or a job or family stuff or jogging or writing...alarms have to go off early sometimes. It just means we're all getting stuff done, which is always worth celebrating (sometimes with a nap, haha).

So cheers to the early year -- I hope there's many more.

Labels: