i am sitting on the starboard
of your only way
back home




Jana%20Pochop
Quantcast



follow janapochop at http://twitter.com


follow supermerchgirl at http://twitter.com

www.flickr.com








Subscribe in a reader

Jana Pochop
Jana Pochop
Promote Your Page Too

Join My Community at MyBloglog!
StumbleUpon
Add to Technorati Favorites
podsafe music network


Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Folk Music Grad School

So...I told myself I was going to have to treat life in the post-bachelor's degree world as "Folk Music Grad School." I've got friends working their butts off in medical school and getting PhDs in Political Science and Musicology. I am mucho impressed with them.

While I would not trade the experience of my undergrad years for anything, I know my path at the moment involves non-academic education. To be a singer/songwriter and entrepreneur I need the freedom to work on it as much as possible, to be actually gigging, and to be around people who know what they are doing. Austin seems to be the right place for that.

I had decided a couple of months ago that I somewhat missed the scheduled, formatted rigor of college, and if all my friends were continuing their educations to be who they wanted to be...why not me? About that time I stumbled upon Red Leaf School of Music and their Professional Development program. A few emails and chats with Dan, the owner and founder, and I was ready to go. Dan understood the grad school metaphor immediately, and put together a pretty rigorous set of classes for me. I've been in it for 6 weeks now and feel like I am growing like a...red leaf. :) I am loving every minute! Even though I have been doing this for 12 years already, and it is flattering when people say, "WHY are you taking guitar lessons? You play guitar already," -- that's precisely the answer. I play guitar, and I love it. If I love it, why would I not steep myself further in the craft and the art of it all? I suggest you all take a look at something you love to do and see what your next step is...you'd be amazed at how things that are old hat are suddenly fresh when you collaborate with the right teachers.

Next Thursday, July 26th at Lambert's on 2nd and Guadalupe, Red Leaf students will show their stuff and party hardy, and I will be doing a set as well (then I'll party...or perhaps party during my set?) Porterdavis (Dan's awesome band) will be playing that night too. Sounds like you need to be there, huh? I thought so.

Red Leaf Big Huzzah!
Thursday, July 26th
Lambert's on 2nd and Guadalupe (map)
7:30 PM

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

Labels: , , , ,