i am sitting on the starboard
of your only way
back home




Jana%20Pochop
Quantcast



follow janapochop at http://twitter.com


follow supermerchgirl at http://twitter.com

www.flickr.com








Subscribe in a reader

Jana Pochop
Jana Pochop
Promote Your Page Too

Join My Community at MyBloglog!
StumbleUpon
Add to Technorati Favorites
podsafe music network


Thursday, August 23, 2007

Terri Hendrix is My Kind of Spiritual Kind

Terri Hendrix's "The Spiritual Kind" is officially released next week, complete with Free Beer at Waterloo Records (you know I'd be there without the beer, even, haha) next Tuesday! I pre-ordered it and have been enjoying it since June. What a fine album. What a fine folk - country - jazz - swing - singer - songwriter album. Terri's like that...you think you have her pegged with one genre and she throws a swing tune full of scat-happy...scatness at you (can you tell I'm not a musicologist?) right after a straight up folk Guthrie cover.

I discovered Terri in college when I realized Texas was home to many a fine songwriter and she was one of the most notable. She's a multi-instrumentalist...songwriter...Grammy winner...you know, the usual, hehheh. She has released eight albums in 10 years...on her own label, Wilory Records. ON HER OWN LABEL, KIDS! It's all hip and cool to be indie nowadays, but Terri was indie before most people even knew what it meant. Back when the kids were still buying Backstreet Boys albums from the Giant Record Company in the Sky because they knew no better. So anyway, as a sophomore in college with about...6 whole unpolished pieces of wannabe-song under my belt, I saw Terri play in the basement of a Presbyterian Church (really cool venue, actually) in Albuquerque. And at the push-and-shoving of my friend Lisa, I gave Terri a copy of my demo. Like, made in my bedroom demo. Like, I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing-demo.

And she was the coolest, and she said she'd listen to it, and then a few days later I got an email with the kindest words of encouragement from one of my favorite songwriters. It made my semester, I think. Terri's that kind of good people. I still have that email.

So in the past couple of years, Terri's business sense, wherewithal, and plain old kickbutt work ethic have been an inspiration and a map for J and I in our journey while we build our business. Terri also does a most excellent thing with her business partner and longtime guitarist/mandolinist/whatever-else-ist Lloyd Maines called the Life's A Song Workshop. It's a whole weekend to hang out with a small group of songwriters and Terri and Lloyd, soaking in their mad skillz and insights. I'm pretty excited to say that in October, I'll be attending my first Life's A Song. October cannot come fast enough.

Anyway, that also speaks to the future J and I want to build in the music business...we think education is essential. Sharing our knowledge so others can build on it is the way of a good civilization, and things like Life's A Song are great road maps.

So thanks, Terri, for all your hard work, inspiration, and your great music!

Come hang out at Waterloo Records on Tuesday, August 28th or at the Nutty Brown on August 31st.

Links:

Buy Terri's Albums, including the new one...direct from Wilory Records! Just do it. She'll sign stuff for ya, too.

Terri's Myspace has full songs up for preview, including one of my current favorites, Soul of My Soul.

Subscribe to Terri's Goatnotes, because she tours all over and will probably come to your area soon...and they are full of awesome words of wisdom. Yo.

Check out this video: Terri Hendrix: "Breakdown"



Add to My Profile | More Videos


"We are all spiritual beings having a human experience." - Terri Hendrix


Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

Labels: , ,