i am sitting on the starboard
of your only way
back home




Jana%20Pochop
Quantcast



follow janapochop at http://twitter.com


follow supermerchgirl at http://twitter.com

www.flickr.com








Subscribe in a reader

Jana Pochop
Jana Pochop
Promote Your Page Too

Join My Community at MyBloglog!
StumbleUpon
Add to Technorati Favorites
podsafe music network


Friday, October 19, 2007

Fave Album Covers

Rolling Stone has a little blip about the best album covers...and points out that some of that is going away due to digital distribution and all that.

On one hand that makes me happy because I have a shelf full of plastic cases I have to move everytime I relocate. Pain. But more so, I DO enjoy the artwork and flipping through the lyrics and following along with a new CD. Seems like the thing to do, right?

Rolling Stone's List (click the link for visuals):
Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Sonic Youth, Goo
Pink Floyd, Animals
Nirvana, Nevermind
Prince, Purple Rain

Of course I got thinking about mine. I don't know if I have excellent taste in album artwork, but I know what makes me happy. Some of it is probably nostalgia. I still remember the day MCC's "A Place in the World" came out (1998, baby!), and I sat on the couch for hours absorbing and dissecting it. So I probably attach a lot of baggage to some of these covers ("A Place in the World" not being on the list. Sorry).

Here are mine, off the top of my head.

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Stones in the Road: Oh of course there's a Chapin entry. I always thought this cover was cool. It says, "Yes, I play my own guitar on my album." I think it holds up pretty well for being 13 years old.

Patty Griffin - Flaming Red: I keep thinking about what I want my record cover to look like, and I always think, "Reds. Fiery and warm reds and oranges." And then I think, "Oh. Patty Griffin already did that." This cover fits the sound of the album so well.

Alison Krauss - New Favorite: This one always caught me. It's like a snapshot of dinner with Union Station. And Alison is all..."what?" Except it's not goofy, or corny, it's just a photograph. That happens to contain the whole band, but not standing around in some posed weirdness like so many band covers do. Good job, AKUS.

Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself: It's so...colorful. Except white. It's simple and yet gets across Imogen's personality, I think. Not like we hang out. Yet.

Amanda Marshall: She's on a nice looking chair. On some sand. Totally natural like. And the look on Amanda's face says, "I am SO rock star enough to be on this upholstered chair on the beach, jerks."

Terri Hendrix - The Spiritual Kind: I realize I have a lot of photo shots and not so many art covers. Here's your art. And everything on this CD cover relates to something on the album. I think that's neato.

Kasey Chambers - Barricades and Brick Walls: I always thought this cover was rather Dylanesque, in a good way. It's got a bunch of my favorite components in it: red, black+white, a guitar, and a road. Brill.

What are YOUR favorite covers? Post 'em in the the comments!

Labels: ,