i am sitting on the starboard
of your only way
back home




Jana%20Pochop
Quantcast



follow janapochop at http://twitter.com


follow supermerchgirl at http://twitter.com

www.flickr.com








Subscribe in a reader

Jana Pochop
Jana Pochop
Promote Your Page Too

Join My Community at MyBloglog!
StumbleUpon
Add to Technorati Favorites
podsafe music network


Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Room of One's Own

I happened upon a collective up at The Guardian called “Writer’s Rooms” today and I was spellbound. Not only do we get a peek into what professional, full time, awarded and lauded authors do to make “a room of one's own,” but the little blurbs accompanying each photo are just as revealing.

A few things surprised me: none are really grandiose rooms of ornate wood and gold hinges. A couple even admit to trying that setup and reverting back to just...a rather lived-in comfortable place. I’m not surprised. One needs a certain amount of comfort around before the muse feels safe to come out and play, I think. I am very much in love with Seamus Heaney’s attic room, with his specially built bookcases and his desk made of a plank of wood over two filing cabinets.


Margaret Drabble
has an awesome window with a gorgeous view...and claims she never looks out when writing. Maybe just knowing it is there is inspiration enough.


Rose Tremain gives us another plank over filing cabinets treatment...


John Mortimer keeps his liquor behind him for motivation, photos of his grandkids on the bookcase, and an award or two. I think every artist needs to come from a place of humility (to let the words come out of the air willingly) but also...it’s key to have a bit of hubris. Why should the words come to ME? What did I do to deserve the words? Yes, hubris is definitely a necessary quality.


A lot...the bulk, I would say...of these writers have something in common. They get up EARLY...some say 6 AM...and they sit down and they WRITE.

I am a spastic and excuse-filled writer. I sit down for 10 minutes and then I have to put laundry in the dryer, or the phone rings, or my email probably needs checking. My Life Guru (and ex-boss), Karen, told me that if I am to cut back on hours at my current job...ALL of those hours need to be spent writing and practicing on top of what I already do now. No goofing off allowed. She’s right. It’s inspiring to know these authors just sit down and spill out words, whether it’s on a laptop or good old pen and paper.

I’m getting there...or at least I am attempting. :) I’ll post my own little room later this week.

Labels: ,