i am sitting on the starboard
of your only way
back home




Jana%20Pochop
Quantcast



follow janapochop at http://twitter.com


follow supermerchgirl at http://twitter.com

www.flickr.com








Subscribe in a reader

Jana Pochop
Jana Pochop
Promote Your Page Too

Join My Community at MyBloglog!
StumbleUpon
Add to Technorati Favorites
podsafe music network


Saturday, November 24, 2007

I'm Not There

"Who cares what I think? I'm not the President. I'm not some shepherd. I'm just a songwriter." - Cate Blanchett as Jude Quinn who is really Bob Dylan

I just saw the awesome Dylan biopic "I'm Not There." It's a trip. I need to go read about 5 more Dylan biographies and watch some documentaries again, but the relieving part of this venture for me is that I got most of it. Or I knew what was going on, anyway. The main point being...no one really knows what's going on.

We see 6 different facets of Bob Dylan...the folk/rock electrified icon, the uber-religious convert, and the rambling outlaw among them. These facets are not all continuous or even sensical. "Wait, NOW he's a converted Jesus-freak? What?"

But how many times have we changed our lives? I know I am quite the shape-shifter these days...it might be the early 20's thing happening, but I hold new values today that I had quite frankly not thought about a year ago. It's interesting, and I can't map the path or justify it or promise it will remain the same next year. No one really asks me to do that, either.

Everyone was asking Dylan to justify his actions, to create a "next step" as a protest songwriter, to give his opinion on the war, on civil rights, on people, on politics. That's a hefty charge for a 20-something, to be a non-self-appointed voice of a turmoiled generation. So what did Dylan do? He denied it. He changed as he saw fit. He changed his answers for every interview because whatever he said was not going to stop a war, he believed. While all the suits and personalities around him called him selfish for doing so, Dylan was probably doing the most responsible thing.

Also, a side note in the form of a letter;

Dear Cate Blanchett, You rock. You were the most convincing Bob Dylan on screen there could ever be, and I am amazed because frankly I was quite skeptical. I will be applauding from the comfort of my pappasan chair here in Austin when you win an Oscar for this performance. Unless you invite me to be your seat-filler when you go onstage and collect your statue. That would be nice. And then maybe perhaps you could let me hold the Oscar, maybe while you you hobnob with the media and give nonsensical answers to their mundane questions. You did learn something playing Dylan, right? Anyway, good job, Ms. Blanchett...if that is indeed who you REALLY are.

There you be. Go see this film.

Labels: , ,